Terrascope has just finished manufacturing a batch of 15 slides from Peru. The samples were already impregnated and the researcher provided us with precut slabs that just need to be mounted and ground. The slabs were quite thick so for some of them we managed to cut them in two pieces, either to provide a back-up if something goes wrong with the grinding (never know), or to preserve some sample for archive.
The grinding went well on most samples but of course the thin sections that are not perfect are the ones without back-up available :(. One slide had some impregnation issue and some material has been lost during the grinding. Others did not grind perfectly evenly but we managed to stop the grinding in time not to lose the slide. It can be quite stressful when you know you have just one chance to make it right! But the result is not too bad and we hope the researcher will be pleased with the slides. We cannot wait to read the results of her study published in a micromorphology journal.